Saturday, December 6, 2008

Good in the world

Goodness in this world does still exist. I spent part of my afternoon chaperoning some Y-club kids ringing the Salvation Army Kettle bell at a local Wal-Mart. I really wondered how much people were giving this year with all that we are hearing about the economy. It was great to see so many different people of different economic status giving a little or a lot. One man, who looked like he was a day-laborer gave me a wad of bills as he left the store. I counted them as I put them in the kettle, and this kind man had just donated 23 dollars in one dollar bills. It warmed my heart on a cold, windy day.

It was really neat to watch parents teach their children what it means to give and be compassionate to those who are less fortunate. So many parents came out of the store and had given their children money to put in the kettle. As they walked away, the parents were teaching the children that as one woman put it, "God has given us so much, that this is what we are supposed to do to help others." It almost brought tears to my eyes.

For all the bad that we hear about in the world, it is nice to spend some time witnessing the good as well.

No comments: