Friday, December 11, 2009

What a strange day

Today was the strangest day I have had so far in teaching. It was scheduled to be the annual "Kids Yule Love" program benefitting a local charity. When I got to school this morning, there were no lights in my classroom AND NO HEAT!!!! It was 55 degress in my room and 29 outside. Baby, it was COLD in there.

The power was out in parts of the building. Unfortunately for me since my classroom is there, it was the oldest part. Thankfully the Athletic Complex had lights so the program could go on as scheduled. But, it was a MAJOR Georgia Power problem. The transformer for the middle of the school (the original building) went out this morning. Of course, it was 40 years old. It took GA Power all day to fix it because they had to bring in a crane to replace it and then hook it all back together. (the thing weighs 15,000 pounds). So, at the end of the assembly, Mr. Collins annouced that we got to leave at 12:00. We had to do that cause the lunchroom is in the original building and they could not cook. Of course the kids loved it. I did too cause I was freezing.

Lights and heat are back on so school will be in session Monday morning as usual for exam week. But the experience at the assembly this morning brought tears to my eyes.

The drama this year was the Grinch and the songs about what is Christmas really made me think. This was after we had presented a TSA Family with a check for 5800 dollars to help with medical expenses. That and seeing a nativity played out, the drama, and the gifts that the kids brought in , even in a recession, brought tears to my eyes and made me so proud to be a part of the Tattnall Family. I am now officially in the Christmas spirit!!! Tomorrow I have bell ringing for the Salvation Army with my Y-Club kids and then dinner with two girlfriends to celebrate finishing our masters degrees!!!!!

No comments: