Thursday, January 8, 2009

American Dream

I have taken the first step of fulfilling the "American Dream" of home ownership. I went to the bank today and found out that I can be approved for a mortgage. To keep my payments under what I want, I am looking at around $105,000 price range. There is a good inventory in Macon of houses for sale, so I just have to start looking. It is too cost prohibitive to break my apartment lease, so I can't close on a house until May. Hopefully mortgage rates will drop some more by then!!! That gives me plenty of time to find exactly what I am looking for. Now, I just have to find it...

On another note, my students continue to surprise me. I am in charge of Prom this year at the school that I teach at. We have another private school in the area that is in financial trouble. They did not even know if the school would open after Christmas. That junior class donated the money for their prom to the school to keep it open. Our junior and senior class officers decided that it would be a nice gesture to invite that schools junior and senior classes to our prom. They met with me this morning and then with their classmates this afternoon. It was an overwhelming "yes" to do this. Now, we are figuring out all of the details. We don't know if this school will accept the invitation, but it was nice to see our students being so open and caring about other kids. They realize that these students may not have a school next year and want them to have something memorable to remember. I was really impressed with my students today!! They made me proud.

No comments: